Thread: Airbound IP
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 12:32 AM
Semi-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
It should not take much cranking to bleed air out of the injector hard lines. First you work the primer pump to fill the IP till you feel resistance in the plunger. Next crack open one injector line nut ((NOT all 4) 1/4 turn. Wrap a rag around it to catch spitting fuel. Activate the glow plugs for 30 seconds then start cranking. Air + fuel will bleed out of the open injector line and it should start within a few seconds of cranking. The idle will be a little rough because of the open line. Have a 17 mm wrench ready to tighten the nut - idle will smooth out. Go for a drive to bleed the rest of the air out
And yet it did. Two and half batteries worth.

To be honest, I've never seen the benefit in cracking the lines at all. Nor have I ever had to, and I've had them off countless times. I cracked them today to be able to confirm there was in fact fuel dribbling out but mainly out of desperation.

Lines off to do injector work: 20 seconds of cranking.
Plastic lines off the pump to change o-rings: priming and then 10 seconds of cranking.
The combination: near defeat.

I have two theories at the moment. I put a level on the valve cover and found I was 8 degrees nose up due to the incline of my driveway.
I usually park with the nose down when I remove the plastic lines/ofv. I do this because I read that fueling starts from the number 1 pump element. Nose down and it becomes the low point in the pump. I also do it because it seems to require the least amount of cranking when I'm done working. With the nose up, and the number 1 pump element at the high point, it's possible I could prime forever without pushing the air out. I'm not attached to this, it's just an idea.
The second idea is that the check valve in my return line is scored enough to leak pressure which makes it very hard for me to build enough to displace the bubble. Or some combination of the two.

***EDIT*** Another thing I'd like to know, what happens to all the fuel that's being injected into prechambers that are not combusting? Am I flooding them the longer I crank without ignition? Is that an issue?

Last edited by Shern; 12-17-2019 at 12:46 AM.