View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Joe

Do all older cars have mediocre ventilation systems??

I love vintage cars....the styling, build quality, ease of maintenance, and more are just some of the reasons I prefer old vs new...I'm an engineer...I work with technology every day, but when a late model car with multiple computers pop up warning lights because of this sensor or that, or go into a limp mode or whatever, I really get frustrated. Late model cars are great when all works well...when something fails, it can be a challenge pulling codes, trying to find an intermittent fault, and of course costly.

One thing cars from the 80's onward have that is great is the heating and air conditioning...strong blowers and a lot of registers...my question today for all of you, is how did people deal with, and accept, the substandard ventilations systems in the early cars? I have three Mercedes...my 300D ventilation system is great...well, the automatic mode and manual two speed fan could be improved, but otherwise is very good. But on my 1969 280SL and my 280SE, the air doesn't blow, it just wafts out...the levers aren't marked well and are a mystery how to adjust like some WWII Enigma machine...the under dash A/C is OK, but the heater and defroster are so bad. What do you think?