Thread: Water Injection
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Master hull craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo300Mercede View Post
I use the intake manifold pressure to pressurize a one gallon windshield washer jug. The pressure forces the water / methanol (W/S washer fluid, -20 deg F type, not soap type) up a 1/8 copper tube into the inlet side of the turbocharger. I dilute the W/S fluid with filtered water to about 20 percent W/S fluid for economy. Both ends of the copper tube are soldered closed and drilled out with a .016 to .019 drill bit with a hand held pin vise. It is an on demand system, when under load and the turbocharger is making pressure, the bottle is pressurized and forces the water up the tube. I use a compression tee, drill out the long side so the copper tubing slides all the way through and to the bottom of the bottle. No ferrule on the bottom side, but I use the compression nut and a thin flat washer to seal that side to a hole through the cap of the bottle. The top side uses the ferrule to seal the turbo pressure. The pressure / boost comes in the short side with a rubber vacuum hose hooked to a port on the intake manifold. I have run this particular system for 9 years. I do have (and it is very important) a 12V normally closed solenoid valve to prevent siphoning of the water into the inlet of the turbo, which can cause hydro-static lock up and bend rods on crankup. That switch is turned on anytime the ignition is on by tapping into a switched 12V wire. The valve is in-line of the copper tubing to the inlet of the turbocharger. The copper tube is inserted into the rubber elbow just in front of the compressor of the turbocharger.
I like it! Simple design, no pumps to worry about. I guess if the resovior is lower than the nozzle you don't have an issue with siphoning either. Are you getting egt reduction with this much flow or is it strictly cleansing? I'm running a dino oil mixture and it probably would be a good idea to be keeping carbon/sooty crap at bay.