View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 09:15 PM

Pinstripe Removal Snag and I Need Suggestions???

Over the weekend I removed the beige pinstripes from my Orient Red 81 300D. It went smoothly, for the most part, but I did run into a little snag and I was wondering if some of you might have some suggestions on what happened and how to move forward.

The first pic is of the pinstripes, before the work had been done.

The second picture is of one of the panels after the pinstripes had been removed. You can see the color contrast from the shinier/darker paint that was under the removed pinstripes. This was to be expected and I'm fine with it. After polishing it up it looked real good, you can still see the color contrast which, again, is fine and after the polishing it was smooth to the touch with no ridges. Great! This was the case for the entire car except for the driver's side door. In the third picture you'll notice that there is a slight ridge which I wasn't expecting. It looks kind of like a flaking clear coat but my car is a single stage paint with no clear coat, supposedly. So what gives???

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the driver's door was repainted at some point and it was clear coated but I don't see any other signs that the door had been repainted in the past and also... the car has been detailed with a light clay bar treatment/detailing a couple of times, which I believe entailed some sort of light color sanding, so my question is... if the door had a clear coat on it, wouldn't that have been revealed when it was detailed?

More importantly, how can I knock that little ridge back down and make it smooth without damaging the paint? Can I wet sand that area on the door with some 2000 grit sandpaper and then polish it out? Or maybe use some sort of abrasive polishing compound? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Pinstripe Removal Snag and I Need Suggestions???-img_4760.jpg   Pinstripe Removal Snag and I Need Suggestions???-img_4783.jpg   Pinstripe Removal Snag and I Need Suggestions???-img_4791.jpg  

Last edited by johnbob; 01-15-2020 at 11:43 PM.