View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
They don't need to be banned to come off the road. They will be gone through attrition. I have a 78Z car. 35 years ago, they were plentiful. 20 years ago they were still available in the yards. 10 years ago the message boards were thriving. I haven't seen one on the road as a daily driver in years although I'm working on getting mine back.
This is the correct answer. W123s will not need to be banned from the roads for the same reason that Model Ts, despite having nothing resembling modern safety standards, need to be banned from the roads. Already, W123s, although representing a disproportionate share of the remaining cars in operation from their era of production, are a vanishingly small portion of the overall vehicle fleet.

I think we may see a point where fossil fuels in general are are taxed at a level that it makes it unappealing for most drivers to use IC vehicles. There may also be more cities adopting city-wide bans on IC vehicles (although I find this to be an unlikely probability in most US cities, with their pitiful public transit infrastructure). But either of those developments are going to be a general trends, not something targeted at vintage MB.