View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1083 View Post
So I've gotten the white knurled nut off the back of the cluster from underneath but now the cluster won't even come out enough for me to see the back of it. do I need to undo the speedo cable from underneath? I also have a tach so I'm not sure if anything from that is keeping me from being able to pull the cluster out more.

Yes you now need to Undo the Spedo Cable the same way you removed the Plastic Knob . Just turn it counter clockwise under the dash and the cluster well pull about Half way out . To completely remove ( I don't think that's necessary ) you half to remove the Oil Pressure line

The Spedo Cable where you Un Screw it is smaller then the plastic Knob but it is Knurled Metal right in the back of the Spedo itself . it is about 1/2 the size of the Plastic Knob you already removed . Most often it is a bit tight but still only Hand tight most of the time . If it well not turn try moving the cable about as you turn counter clockwise and it should brake free

Once that is done you should be able to pull the cluster about half way out . Then you must search for a Bolt that well remove the entire Ignition switch . You may be able to just remove the back part of the Ignition switch Via 2 screws as I remember ( requires a small 90 degree ratchet drive screwdriver ) . This is most often the part that has gone bad . Last one I changed I removed from a diesel 240 and installed in a 450 MB . same switch like $5 / $10 at salvage yard