View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 11:13 PM

Good question, hard to decide that. From the surface, both are so similar minus the badge, but would seem to sell to very different buyers. The younger me would have certainly opted for a 280 Euro. But as I've gotten older (and I'm only 28), I've more affinity for auto trans, power windows, vinyl seats, and air conditioning. I've not seen a 280 TE with all of those. So if both are all decked out minus the sunroof for its practical issues - rusting and leaking - it would be hard to choose. I guess I'd base my pick on projected miles driven in a given year. More miles, 300TD.

However, I've got a different criteria than I did in years past as I'm now a bigger city resident and plan to be, perhaps forever. I don't feel safe throwing a laptop bag or purse in the back of a station wagon and leaving the car street parked. We need to do this all the time. Too easy to throw a rock in the window and grab it from a wagon. Having a sedan with an enclosed trunk solves that problem. It's also nice it's non-turbo, less parts to break and I don't care about power. So it's hard to imagine being in the market for a 300TD. Sedan is cheaper, easier to find, just as practical, and W115 looks like a mini 600 limo. I always leave the main cabin of the clean, empty, and often unlocked. Nothing to break in for. Perhaps I should get a wheel lock, though. Anyone ever have theirs stolen? I don't know how hard it would be to start with jamming a screwdriver, but my cousin's 80s Nissan truck has been stolen in SF more than a handful of times by that method. I hope to not have it happen.

Once I get the cruise control rebuilt it will be the perfect car for me.

-Henry C.