View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson88 View Post
If you can use a buffer then start with that. If not start with 3000 grit then move on to a 2500 grit then go to 2000. You don't start something like this with what you guess may work, you start with what you feel is too fine then slowly move to heavier grits.

I've color sanded the trunk lid on my 1985 black car then buffed out the scratches removing just a slight amount of paint. It turned out excellent. My brother took paint off some of the edges with a big buffer using by using wrong the wrong technique on that same car.
Before I removed my pinstripes and ended up with that little ridge, my game plan was to do this:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/66800-4-steps-restore-single-paint-paint-1972-mercedes-benz-280-se.html

This is still my plan but I'm assuming I should first try to smooth out that little ridge before moving forward with the 4 step process mentioned in the article above.

Since your suggestion is to try the buffer first, which I agree with... do you have a suggestion regarding which product to use when using the buffer to remove the ridge?