View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 11:36 AM

My 1st Mercedes was a 73 280 sedan with the (1st year?)M110 engine. Got car in Portland. OR then moved to Kingston, WA. It was a beautiful Ivory white, low mileage (72K), up optioned, with near flawless blue leather, earlier style ivory steering wheel, like used on the sports cars and also had a column shift. Original owner was an army colonel in AZ. On test drive, car had a bad miss and wonky handling in turns. Found a burned valve and broken RR shock. Fixed everything myself with help of local machine shop on the valve job. I approached my 1st overhead cam engine work cautiously, but wasn't so bad thanks to Haynes. Had the car from mid 80's through mid 90's. Had float/needle valve problems a few times on the 4 bbl carb and filter for the big air cleaner was sometimes hard to find and expensive. Eventually replaced air cleaner with an aftermarket 4 bbl cleaner. Did install aftermarket electronic ignition and most expensive repair was rebuilt transmission. Checked around and used shop in Portland recommended by Mercedes dealer. Removed/reinstalled trans my self and shop charged $500 for the re-build. Sold car when I moved to Olympia. Wish I kept it.
John 5:25