View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003, 01:11 PM

Today I actually drove my 126 for the first time in a while (more than just up and down the road). Other than the rough idle, which has not been cured (fuel injectors/system is next on my list), everything seemed ok. UNTIL....I decided to start it in first gear and give it a little harder of a launch. Now...I didn't floor it, I didn't powerbrake it or anything stupid. I just started it in first and started out "briskly". When I did this the car made this horrendous clanking and screeching type noise. Let me see if I can recreate it "Clank-clank-clank-cl-aa-aaa-aaaa-aaank" It was quite loud. I THINK it came from the front of the car...but I guess it could have come from anywhere. Needless to say I'm kinda worried here!

Here is what I have done since I last drove it: Timing chain/guides, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, engine mounts and shocks, suspension shocks, new exhaust...and obviously fluids.

Again, it only does it when I accelerated pretty hard from a stop in 1st. Any insight into this would b e greatly appreciated!!
'86 420SE Euro
904 Midnight Blue, Gray Velour
Dad bought it new, now I own it.

"A Mercedes-Benz is like a fine wine, it only gets better with age."