View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 06:41 PM

Sholin,

My '84 300D turbo runs great on WVO (SVO too, but no sense buying it when you can get it for free). I bought the car with 360k miles on it after driving a VW Golf Diesel on WVO.

I built a heated tank setup similar to the Greasel design (plastic tank with a heat exchanger in it, in the trunk). Now that the weather is staying around 50F min, I don't even bother starting and shutting down on diesel. If it sits all night after WVO shut down, starting is no more difficult than an average winter day..a little rough for a few seconds-that's it.

I'd agree that power is about like running on "winter diesel" but that's good enough for me. The engine definitely idles more quietly and there is little or no smoke, even under hard acceleration (where it would typically produce a nice black cloud on diesel).

As note earlier, I wouldn't run this on a new TDI with a warranty...but I intend to pick up one that's a little older and run that. I don't make any accomodation for acidity of the oil or do anything special to rid the oil of water. The veg oil filter I'm using in the car has a water separator that seems to be sufficient.

So, not for everyone, but works for me, creates less pollution out the pipe, lessens my dependence - at least - on petroleum.

fmb