View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 01:59 PM
I've been reading this tread for a few days now and as a retired tribologist, I admit having had a few laughters reading some of the posts.
''from christmas to easter i ran a valvoline 30 wt racing grade, for the rest of the year a valvoline 40 wt racing grade.''
Racing type engine is not suitable for normal road use. A racing oil is designed to be replaced after only a few hundred mile of racing and does bot contain the additive package necessary for normal street application. It has no or very little anti-acid additive, lots of anti-foaming additive and again very little ant-oxidation additive. Luckily, the engine survived, only proving the Mercedes engines are built Strong and certainly not because of the racing type oil.
After a change to synthetic oil, this comment: ''Remarkable difference. Engine is much smoother''. this is pure imagination. Synthetic had no built-in smoothness. Dyno or synthetic has nothing to do with engine smoothness.
''the chain tensioner probably got pumped up or cleaned out and the engine timing being improved.''
A timing problem has never been built into the capabilities of any oil. Again, pure imagination.
My best advise: Stick to the latest engine manufacturer's recommendations. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. The engine manufacturer, parts builders and oil companies have spent considerable amount of money, time and efforts to come up with their recommendations. Not too many people here (I included) have the knowledge and capacity to second guess them.