View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 12:35 PM

Evans will cost me $90 to convert. Not bad for "lifetime" coolant but the car just pi$$ed me off so I took action, for better or worse.... Yesterday I turned the ac on and the "EC" button on the ACC unit flew off as it popped out, over my shoulder into the back seat. Thankfully the ACC unit still functions fine, I can still push the stalk the button mounts on to activate it, and I should be able to just dab a little Goop on the button and stick it back on. Since I have just started to smell a slight whiff of coolant coming from the heater vents I now know I have a heater core leak too. This has pushed me over the edge with this car and here is what I did: Removed stealership-purchased 1.4bar $26 radiator cap and threw it into the woods. Went to Autozone and purchased a 7lbs usa-made radiator cap for $3.99 and a bottle of Bar's Leaks. Drained the radiator and poured Bar's into the upper hose, refilled, installed 7lb cap and when for a drive with heat on full for 45minutes. (drove to Krispy Kreme to soothe my temper) Rerouted vent hose from plastic expansion tank to hole in fender with a plastic 90* aquarium fitting. Now vents to fenderwell so I don't have to look at the little coolant dribbles. 7lbs cap, less pressure in the system=good, Bar's Leak in the system=questionable, but if it fixes the leaks......, Vent line to fender hole=good, outa sight-outa mind. So far so good. Watch the gauge, keep and eye on the coolant level and not worrying about it anymore. Happy motoring! RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K