View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 01:32 PM

Cool Solution to Becker Silverstone 980 problem

I just wanted to pass this experience along in case it may help someone. I have a 92 300E and wanted to put a Becker 980 Silverstone CD changer in it. I found one on Ebay and when I plugged it into the tuner in the trunk the Becker head unit recognized the changer but the loading mechanism on the changer was not working. I called Becker several times and finally got a response that they may not be able to repair these anymore because they were having problems getting a power relay for them. Even if they could repair them the cost is $250.00 including shipping for a 10 year old worn out player. I checked into the Alpine 620 changer but the Becker head unit in the 92 300e requires about $300 worth of conversion cables and data converter boxes. This was 3 times the price of the Alpine CD changer I had located. I finally went with a CD changer with an FM modulated tuner. The output plugs directly into the antenna tuner in the trunk and it works like a charm. It has a digital to analog converter so the sound is not supposed to be quite as crisp but I honestly cannot tell the difference. High quality CDs sound absolutely clean to me. The best part is the late model CD changers will play all home recorded CD-R and CD-RW and the old Becker Silverstone will not. Hope this helps someone avoid all the wasted time I spent researching the Becker system.