View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 05:05 PM
Spo123

Thumbs up barrs leak remedy

Greetings Rob,

Ew missed you at the Hartford gtg. It was an enjoyable time for all.

Anyway, first I'll comment as to your windshield sealing experience. \Nice write up. One day I intend to tackle the rear winshield in the Black Bomber,,,,,,,,the rust IS under there and WILL require a CORRECT repair.

Next, I HAVE used Barrs Leak previously.....NOT IN THE 300d mind you.........only in my previous P.O.S. ford taurus (the 3.0 litre, NOT the 3.8 that tends to overheat. Note: the LIQUID Barrs Leak was what I used.

The taurus P.O.S. heater core is a badly designed piece of crap. However, the LIQUID remedy noted above enabled me to POSTPONE the heater core replacement on 2 occasions! Each application worked for aprox. one year of daily HARD use. On ANOTHER note, last winter, my fiance had the same steaming defroster vents in her FORD (ie; lincoln 3.8) and AGAIN the stuff seems to continue to hold back the steam leak. Remember that I am NOT speaking about my baby, The Black Bomber. The replacement of the heater core in the taurus cost me $500 by a ford tech that performed the "surgury"........the ENTIRE dash assy MUST be removed for this damn mess!.........never buy another ford again.............and I will NOT even mention their transmissions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 3.0 motor NEVER had any headgasket trouble whatsoever. With luck the lincoln 3.8 will stay alive until we can find a NICE 300d for the lovely.

The 300d radiator cap came with a factory marking of "100"...later, Mercedes uprated the cap to one with a marking of "120".........more PRESSURE........Ihave used Both on my car and they EACH function properly. I keep the "120" cap on the car as a matter of general practice........with the older one as a spare ..

Best wishes always and keep those diesels humming!
Spo out!