View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 10:39 AM

Put a 240d engine wanted add in our parts wanted section of the site. Something may turn up. Within a reasonable distance.

If you are going to continue. There was a reason I asked if the valve clearances where far too tight or far too loose. Far too loose may be signifigant.

I also found your compression readings where odd. All cylinders read about equally very low. Personally I might want to check if the crank pulley indicator really corresponds with top dead center on the number one cylinder.

The easiest way would be to remove the injector and bring the engine a small distance from from indicated TDC. Fill the cylinder with oil. Best to rig a straw as a guide. Rotate the engine the oil level in the clear straw or tube will very accurately indicate TDC. Then check the pointer. Since you do not know why the chain was changed or if they had the engine pulley off. A waste of time perhaps then again you have some strange things.

On the other hand the current situation may just be a result of burning WVO. The residue in the rings has gone solid with time. Plus the valve faces are a built up mess. What I am suggesting otherwise is a long shot.

I just got to thinking what if this is a true low millage engine. If so it would be wrong to not check every possibility out. Even if unlikely. another thought is if the past owner burnt a lot of questionable WVO. Plus the combustion was poor. A more or less equal buildup of by products of the WVo that did not burn. Got built up. This could account for the similar compression readings. Even the excess valve clearances.