View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 08:34 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
Odd that you say this. I recently drove my '81 300SD which had been sidelined for about a month. Immediately I noticed it wanted to pull to the right and had a hard time getting up to speed; very sluggish. After about two miles I noticed smoke from under the hood. Pulled over and found the right front wheel to be pretty hot. Drove cautiously home after a cool down and bought a brake caliper.

Got busy and a couple of weeks went by. So I ran down to the garage, fired it up and decided to take a short drive to make sure I had remembered the correct wheel. Surprisingly it was cold. I have been driving it for a week now and the wheel has not heated up at all.

So I can tell you from experience that the brakes can drag and then they can come back and do OK.

Maybe this is what happened in your case. (But I am not returning the new brake caliper yet.)
Good idea!
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.