View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmagoon1990 View Post
Hello everybody,

I have developed very, very heavy vibrations when going over about 40-45 MPH in my 1985 300CD which I purchased about 3 months ago (180k+ miles). Appears to be coming from the driver's side front end. As a total amateur, I am still learning my right hand from my left, and assume that this is one or more worn front end suspension components. I have not jacked anything up yet, but had a quick look underneath and there are definitely some worn out bushings immediately visible.

I have been doing a deep dive on youtube and seen many promising videos on rebuilding a front-end suspension. Rather than replacing the culprit part, I am assuming I'm probably better off replacing everything with high quality parts while I'm already down there, instead of waiting for other components to fail(?).

That said, a lot of the threads I've found are quite old, and I'm wondering if anybody can steer me to kits that would be helpful/ cost effective (if any exist). Has anybody tackled this job recently? Any nuggets of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
-RJ
If you are in the UK the drivers side can be different then the US. Left and right is determined as if you are sitting in the drivers seat.

In the US the right side front is what typically gets the beating hitting the curb during parking.

I am curious to know if you are having unusual Tire wear patterns.

There is no kit with high end parts.

Some items like the Lower Ball Joints if they are still good can last another 5-10 years if the boots are kept intact and full of grease.

The lower and Upper control arms have rubber bushings that can have issues. The Upper control arms have the ball joint built in and when they go you have to replace the whole arm. New upper control arms have the new bushing in them already (be sure to check on that before ordering).

The torsion/sway bar has 2 rubber big O-rings on each side in the front where they go through the upper control arm. and there is also 2 rubber bushings on the fire wall that the bar pivots on.

Check your front wheel bearing end play and remember that a dragging brake on one side can also cause vibration.

As for the oldness of some of the threads all of the threads are newer then the Cars they are about and some of the older threads have not been replaced as they are still relevant.