View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM

I really appreciate the comments from you guys and rather than cut out the banjo lines, I decided to put in the Big CAT IR-0750 filter on the suction side after the plastic screen. It worked fine for 5 minutes until the engine started to choke and rock and finally quit. After I went back to the stock setup all was well. My lesson(I think) is that there was too much resistance to suck the diesel thru a 2 micron filter. I did double check to look for air leaking into the system and the clamps seemed tight. I think I will try 911's set up with the 2 micron CAT after the MB spin on or I might try a clear bowl Racor with a 2 micron as the secondary. I also wondered if putting a 2 micron on the return line might be a nice touch. I do not know the IP flow/pressure parameters for the Mercedes 617 and maybe the flow is too low to do much. On our Cummins pickups the return flow is pretty hefty and it returns at over 20 psi which should be ample to punch thru a 2 micron filter. On our farm we get a lot of our diesel in Jerry cans and in old tanks and keeping things clean with funnels and such introduces the risk of dirt getting into the tanks. We normally use road diesel and not red fuel because our local Wyoming stations do not supply red fuel that is winterized. We always use Power service white and gray jugs to head off jelling and lube the injection system. I must finally say that when winter really hits with lows from 0 to 40 below from Dec thru February, owning diesel cars and trucks seems kinda stupid. That must be why I drive my wonderful 2001 Corolla with a big battery and Blizzak snow tires which has started at -37 a few winters back.