View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 11:04 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogviler View Post
When these threads pop up, I guess I don't follow the logic of where your steering is loose, you tighten the steering box, the play in the steering goes away, and somehow your real problem is worn out tie rods and ball joints, et cetera. Like, the steering box is literally only the first link in the chain, how could it magically take the play out of all the other components if they're worn out? It seems more like: you adjust your steering box and there's still a lot of play, therefore the real problem is the other components. If you adjust it and it feels 200% better then a worn box is the cause.

Hence me, in my newbie state a decade ago, following the idea of "replace all the expensive stuff first because the box isn't the problem" that many promote. And when that didn't work, the steering box adjustment literally took the steering from being little better than a child's wagon to "no sports car but at least it stays in the lane now..."
So you replaced all your steering and ball joints without checking them for looseness and then found the steering box needed adjustment?

And just as a reference replacing the box is hardly cheap, in my book anyhow.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.