View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 07:29 AM
dieselarchitect

RIP General Chuck Yeager

He passed at age 97.

If you have not read his biography it is very worthwhile. He was a special talent. My favorite story about him was when his group would take off to meet the German fighters over the water he would start counting planes as soon as he could see them. It would often be in the twenties before anybody else in his group could see one.

In his community in West VA he stated that in a culture of people who could shoot well he was always the best even when only a child.

He grew up helping his father maintain the pipelines including pumps and motors. His mechanical abilities saved his life in planes many times. He knew what every part on the plane did and often could keep them flying when they would have crashed with another pilot.

In WW2 he flew against the germans over France, scoring many kills. He was shot down though and was hidden by the resistance. They then sent him over the Pyranees to return to the US. He was with a small group. They were discovered by the facists though and when they tried to escape a couple of them were killed instantly and another was alive but comatose. Yeager pulled him along in the snow until he could not walk any more, then at a place where the snow disappeared into fog or darkness he let his wounded comrade slide down the mountain. He followed. Miraculously they made it safely. At the bottom he saw a road and was saved. They went back for the other fellow and he survived as well.

His deeds after the war with the speed of sound etc, are equally impressive.

The movie the right stuff is very good too.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.