View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 10:46 AM

Not really related, but wanted to "chime in". The first car I bought with my own money, and the genesis of my interest in German cars, was a 1971 beige VW Squareback, manual, with Bosch Electronic F.I.(in 1971!!!) Was in my late teens, purchased from original owner (husband and wife, native German, his wife drove Audi's) for $100. I can't recall the mileage, but it wasn't that high.
That car was amazing! Drove it EVERYWHERE! Sadly, being of "rustbelt" origin, the unibody was rusting away behind the front wheels, in the upper fender area, fenders, too. Also the front bumper mounts turned to dust eventually. Not before I got a bunch of years out of it, though.
I was a dumb kid and didn't know how to "save" her and had no money. Bought 2 front fenders from VW (imported from Germany at that time) and had a guy weld some plate for the front bumper. I was outraged at the price of the fenders (about $100 ea), but that translates to about $650 ea, in todays dollars!!
Good memories, good times in that car!! I guess many would agree: If I only knew then what I know now. (or, maybe just 1% of it...lol)