View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Posting since Jan 2000

He was INDEED a key member of “THE GREATEST GENERATION.”

They roughed their way through the depression and WWII. If it would have been the politically correct youth of today trying to do this we would be speaking German and Japanese right now.

Yes, some, BUT NOT NOT ALL of them were racists. It was a different time, which is no excuse and I’m happy that many people have moved away from that, but lumping them all together as ALL racists is as prejudicial as those of that time that were prejudice.

Yeager, in his later life displayed an arrogant nature and has been criticized for it. Regardless of that, his amazing accomplishments in battle and aviation should not be taken away from him. At the time of his retirement he had logged more time in high performance jets than any man alive. Much of that time was at Edwards flying multiple dangerous test programs at the same time period.

My favorite story was after making his way back after being shot down over France, he was told he couldn’t fly combat any longer. He went to his CO and told him that he refused to stop fighting. The CO didn’t know how to react and sent him up the chain of command. He finally ended up standing at attention across the desk from IKE. IKE said the invasion had started so there was no longer a threat to the French underground so it was okay.

Years later Yeager met IKE at a party and asked him if he remembered meeting with him in Europe. IKE seemed to be hurt by the question and responded “ Son, how could I possibly forget a young Second Lieutenant that would stand in front of the Commanding general and tell him firmly that he refused to stop fighting?”

Thanks to the guts and resolve of that generation old sinner, you have the freedom to stand up for those who are discriminated against. You shouldn’t be vilifying them. You should be thankful for them and be willing to accept their faults. Guess what? We ALL, including you and I have faults.