View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric4 View Post
I didn't know faulty mounts could destroy the hoses however, so maybe those will need to be replaced sooner than I planned.

Is the flex disc relatively easy to remove for inspection? I'll do some research on that project as well.
The power steering belt wore a hole in the upper oil cooler hose in my 1984 300D. The motor mount was sagged a bit, but the main reason was that a fan belt broke and must have tangled in the p.s. belt to flip it over so it stuck out more and its "teeth" facing outward was like a chainsaw. Spewed oil all over and must have happened just a few miles from our house since still 2 qt of oil in the pan when my son arrived after a 600 mile drive. I cut the new hose 1" longer to keep it away from the belt, as M-B should have. I used 5/8" AC hose and crimps, but you could use Oeticker stepless ear clamps if you don't have an AC ferrule crimper.

The rear flex disk is fairly easy. I disconnected it and wired the driveshaft so the rear could spin freely when I flat-towed my 1985 300D, then re-attached it in a Walmart parking lot near my son's university, just drove one side up on a curb to crawl underneath. Walmarts are usually understanding about sleeping in an RV in the parking lot or people towing things, so I frequent them.

BTW, don't scream when you see the $50 price for the air filter for your 1985 CA car, if you can even find one. Just stack 2 cheap filters - Wix 46070, for a 1985 Toyota MR2. Others combinations might work.