View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 05:08 PM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
I've been asking for a pic of the VC to be posted. From descriptions, the shoulders limit compression of the gasket so once the shoulder hits the head surface, bolt torque value is meaningless in terms of sealing ability. ( More torque won't further compress the gasket. )

If there isn't enough gasket compression, any gasket will leak. If the valve cover is distorted no gasket is going to seal.

My prior posts in this thread outline how to identify and solve the problem.
I found some pictures in other threads ( Cam cover leak repair and Valve Cover Modifications for OM617 ). I hope they help!

My genuine Mercedes (Bruss, made in Ireland) valve cover gasket is leaking, but I might have installed it 8 years and many miles ago, and it's been in an extreme hot and dry desert environment. I noticed when it was new, that it had a cratered sealing surface (bad casting, worn mold?) that didn't seem like it would seal well. But, it worked for several years.

Now I have a new genuine Mercedes Bruss gasket, and it looks even worse. I wonder if it will seal at all.

Attached Thumbnails
Victor Reins valve cover gasket leaking-advj5em.jpeg   Victor Reins valve cover gasket leaking-40932155340_59f3644d32.jpg   Victor Reins valve cover gasket leaking-40932155120_16d77ef189.jpg   Victor Reins valve cover gasket leaking-0224211503.jpg   Victor Reins valve cover gasket leaking-0224211503a.jpg  

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles