View Single Post
Old 06-08-2003, 12:38 PM

Did cooling service: good news/bad news

Howdy,

My 190D 2.2 was running a bit hot (100 deg C and it's only in the low '80's here) so I did a cooling service and have some good news and some bad news. I better preface this by saying that the previous owner had the head gasket replaced--I've got the receipts--and I hope that was the only thing wrong.

Good news: Valvoline Zerex is available at Pep Boys--yeah, no trip to the dealer. Had an overheating problem, now I dont. The basic problem was that pieces of paper or head gasket were lodged in the thermostat. Replacing it fixed the problem. Didn't have to burp the system, although I filled in some of the water from the upper radiator hose.

Bad news: I shorted the fan clutch temperature switch to ground and it didn't run. Furthermore, it's burned (but not vaporized) two fuses. There was oil in the overflow resevoir. Furthermore when I took the thermostat out, there was a oily covering in the thermostat housing. This was AFTER I ran a can of cooling system cleaner and some Dawn dishwashing detergent through the system. Probably need to repeat the deoiling exercize. All those little bits of head gasket/paper, if they clogged the thermostat, what are they doing to my radiator?

So in summary, I guess I'm waiting to see if more oil accumulates in the overflow resevior. Also, I need to fix the fan clutch. I probably just replace the radiator at this time as I don't know how old it is (plastic tank).

If I have cracked the head, would there be any other symptoms other than overheating/oil in coolant? I do not have any coolant in the oil nor am I consuming coolant or oil.

Sholin