View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 02:30 AM

Good advice above, but just to offer an alternative... I once "repaired" a tractor hub spline(very similar to a Benz but bigger) that was very loose, by using "JB Weld" to fill in the gaps! I could have started replacing parts but had little to lose by trying this. The splines were not stripped completely, and if yours are, then this probably would not work. This tractor spline set-up gets some tremendous force applied to it and it is rock solid after years of use ! Of course if I ever need to take it apart heat will probably be required, but that 's no problem.
If one of my 123's had a loose spline and good bearings, I would remove the axle, clean up both surfaces with brake cleaner or similar, warm up and mix some JB and coat the splines in the hub.( A thin film of oil on the axle stub would probably be good for easing removal later, if it was ever needed.) Reassemble the axle stub into the splines and carefully clean any excess JB off before torqing the axle stub bolt. Then let it cure overnight. I love JB !