View Single Post
Old 09-15-2000, 04:03 PM

Jeffsr hit the 'nail on the head'. The exec's in Germany used to roll out the cars and sell them at a reasonable 'German' profit margin without looking twice at the currency markets. Now that Chrysler is in control, the sales will be pushed or held back depending on the currency exchange rates and speculation for the future exchange rates.

Mercedes Benz is now under the control of the 'good ol US of A' and the capitalism this great country was founded on! If the dollar is down, the profit is decreased and the cars will set in Germany. If the dollar is up, the profit is increased and the cars will be piling up on the docks like Toyotas and Hondas were back in the 80's. Back in '83, I bought my Mitsubishi at a CA dealer and claimed my car at the dock the next day!

Now that Chrysler is in control, I forsee the prices going even higher in the future. Chrylser has a true 'luxury car' and they will soon want 'luxury prices' even for the E-class.

If you are like me, you do not have a money tree in the back yard. I guess we will have to wait a few years for these models to show up on the used market.

76 240D (W115) - 550K miles
78 300D (W123) - 200K+ miles