Thread: CB Radios
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 12:00 PM

rwthomas1, whether you need/want a CB all depends on where you do your driving. And the only way to know is to try it. These are short range (4-5 mile) devices and, when used properly, are a fantanstic tool to get weather and traffic info. The cell phone is better for police and medical contant. Unfortunately, the CB is abused in some areas by (illegal) high powered mobile and land units. I'll use Iowa as an example: there is a person with a super-high powered land unit who plays music to interfere with legitimate conversations. Outside of his range (about 40 miles) the CB is a Godsend, especially in snowstorms or tornadoes. If you decide it's a tool for you, then look for a unit from the 1970s as they have better filters (squelch) and power supplies. I've had insane offers for my first generation Midland 40 channel. They laugh and quit trying when I say I'll sell when I can rectify my mistake of selling my old 23 channel, which was a better radio (it really was). With today's radios you need to filter the power supply and route the wires far away from other radios, instruments, and the alternator. The old radios weren't as fussy about proper grounding of the antenna, but today's are.