View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Down to the Wear Bars

The stock speakers are 120mm - about 4.75" diameter. ( http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124Stereo ) Many 5 1/4" speakers require dash work to place in this area (others don't fit at all). True four inch speakers will drop through unless an adapter plate is made. Most speakers are not exactly 5 1/4" or 4", however. They are usually a bit larger or smaller diameter than advertised. The Diamond audios are 4 1/2" speakers, and still a bit small for the hole. Polk makes a 5" speaker that some people also found easier to install, but it is not a direct 'drop in' replacement (127mm nominal diameter).

The only 'no hassle, drop right in" speakers I know about are the factory speakers, or the Rainbow 2 way replacement speakers SCLA offers through his shop, and Blaupunkts from Steve Brotherton's shop. Anything else seems to require at least minor rework, and often major rework of the dash area to keep the stock look.

Almost ANY aftermarket speaker sounds better than the factory paper speakers and is worth the installation hassles, IMHO. The Rainbow and Blaupunkts seem a reasonable compromise, with no modifications, but with improved sound. If you are replacing the head unit, installing amps, subs, etc, then installation intensive aftermarket speakers are probably worth the added work, as the speakers, head unit, and amps can be tailored as a package. But I wouldn't use them with the factory head unit and amps.

The Blaupunkts are shown at Steve Brotherton's Continental Imports http://www.continentalimports.com/ic_114.html

The Rainbows can be described by emailing Scott SCLA, above.

I have been to Scott's shop in San Diego and ordered from them - they know what they are doing, have a great shop, and treated me fairly. I haven't been to Steve Brotherton's shop, but he is a long term respected member of this site, and I would have no problem ordering anything from him, either.

2003 Firemist Red/grey leather SL 500
2015 Palladium Silver/black mbtex GLK 350
1987 Smoke Silver/burgundy mbtex 300E Sportline (SOLD)

Click to see 87 300E

Last edited by JCE; 06-15-2003 at 11:13 PM.