View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Diesel View Post
Rob,

You might want to read through this thread from "that other site." https://www.benzworld.org/threads/2004-e320-oil-consumption.1694417/#post-5620892

If you read through to the end, you'll see that OP had eventual success with the "procedure" discussed in the thread and switching to a 5W-40 oil (often the independent shops fill with 0W-40). I'll note that the OP in the thread had the M112 V-6 as opposed to the M272 V-6 in yours, but there have been other posts over the years on that site discussing using the same procedure and switch to 5W-40 for the M272. I was too lazy to search in more detail, honestly.

Also, I'm sure you know this already, but these motors can lose a lot of oil due to leaking cam plugs and a leaking crankcase breather/oil separator.

Anyway, I'm not saying the procedure discussed in the thread will work for you, and I've no experience trying it, but it seems to have helped some folks. I haven't had the oil consumption issue with my E350 wagon with the M272; it has about 150,000 miles on it now. I've never followed the FSS notifications since I bought it in 2008; 12,000 miles/1-year seems like an awful long time to me. I just do the oil and filter every 6 months, regardless of mileage. Yes, I'm probably wasting money doing so, but it's an easy schedule to stick with.

I hope you're able to solve the issue without having to spend a lot or replace the car. Best of luck.

-Chris
Thanks for your thorough response, Chris; I'm sorry I've been incommunicado for so long and wanted to get back to you.

I read through that thread to which you linked and I'm just not a believer in the "Italian tune-up" method, and while there is a significant amount of smoke due to oil burning, I would say that most of the loss is due to leakage, with the leak being so egregious at this point that I doubt there'd be anything left in the crankcase by the time I'm finished with the procedure.

I checked our service receipts and found that our indy shop has been putting in 5W-40 since at least June of 2020, along with an oil treatment additive from BG called RF-7 (https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-rf-7-oil-treatment/), which doesn't look like it should cause any harm and might actually do something helpful by increasing viscosity.

We've replaced the centrifuge (Mercedes-speak for the separator) at least twice, as it seems to be a regular point of failure, and checked the cam plugs, but the oil is all over the front of the engine and those bits are at the rear. I will replace the oil filler cap, despite it not looking terrible, and see what effect that might have.

Best Regards,
Rob

'07 E350T 4MATIC, 226k (wife's)
'06 E320CDI, 249k
'05 T1N Sprinter 2500/Pleasure-Way Plateau TS, 67k
'97 C36AMG, 303k (son's)
'94 E320T, 249k
'93 190E Sportline LE, 168k (daughter's)
'84 190E-2.3/5spd (Stage Rally Racer)
'66 230 W110 Sedan (Barn Find, Vintage Racer build in progress)