View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 01:53 PM

So installed two new ATE front rotors over the weekend. No particular issues, but more of a job than I want to ever do again. Took the car for a quick drive (maybe five miles) to see if everything was working okay. It wasn't - there was a rubbing when I used the brakes. Couldn't really tell which side it was coming from, but once I removed the wheels to do the brake fluid, it was pretty easy to see. See attached photos. Right rotor has lots of rubbing and scratching on the outside going on. Left side is okay. The old rotors had no marks like that. So any chance the brake fluid service will alleviate this issue? My hope is that it will, but my brain is telling me something else.

So what would the solution be? Remove the offending pad and clean it up? I sure am not looking forward to doing that again, although it should be a little easier, since I sort of know what I'm doing. BTW only the outside pad on the right side is giving me issues.

I do have a brand new pad the I can replace the offending one with. The pads on there now have 7000 miles on them. I actually can replace both pads with new on the right side, but I don't have replacement pads for the left side.

I'm sure the rotor will be fine with only five miles on it. That's barely enough time to start scraping the coating off. Maybe I just need to give it more time?
Attached Thumbnails
Front rotors at minimum-img_3779.jpg   Front rotors at minimum-img_3780.jpg   Front rotors at minimum-img_3781.jpg  
'88 560SL 41,000 miles - totaled and parted out
https://sites.google.com/site/mercedesstuff/home
'99 E300 turbo 227,500 miles
'03 SLK320 40,000 miles - gave to my daughter
'14 Smart electric coupe 28,500 miles
'14 Smart electric cabriolet 28,500 miles
'15 Smart electric coupe 28,000 miles