View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Just a comment. The difs are extremely long lived. Replacing one is rarely needed. I would look at your driveshaft and park it so there is not a load on your drivetrain....then try to wiggle the ds. There is the center bearing which is a somewhat frequent problem along with its rubber mount ring, then there are u joints and CV joints which can make various noises.
That is a good point that the issue could be in the center mount ring or in the U joint.

That being said, I fully believe the transmission shop of my diff having an excessive / weird wearing pattern, and I know that the whine at highway speed is gone. This may have been caused by driving the car for 5,000 or so miles before I changed the fluid. It had been sitting for 20 years previously, and it's possible it was the original fluid from 1976. The tech who changed it noted that it was a weird color and suspected it was burned, but there were no metal shavings in it.

Also, the driveshaft is rock solid with no sideways play in it. But I also think the U-joint is starting to go bad, from a slight rumble noticed at low speed with my foot on the gas. Deja vu for me it happened on my BMW years ago. But it's not so bad that I want to fork over 500 bucks for a rebuild and then either put it in my self or pay some one another 500 bucks to R&R.

I guess these driveline issues are all to be expected for a car of this age. Almost a half century old.

-Henry