View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 09:03 PM

So just a little update.

I found a huge leaking fuel supply line under the car. I replaced the 2 rubber hoses at the tank but did not see the 2 rubber hoses by the LF tire. I have since replaced those and corrected all the leaks. I changed the cigar hose and all return hoses too for good measure.

I purged as much air as I could with the hand primer pump. I glowed the car and tried to start it. It was sputtering and stumbling but did not start.

I cracked the injector lines and disconnected the glow plug ground wire (to save battery). I cranked again for about two rounds. Fuel came from all injector hard lines except #3.

I tightened the injector lines and re-connected the glow plug ground wire. I placed a gas-soaked rag near the intake, hoping that the vapors might help with the initial start-up.

Again, the car cranked and cranked with some sputtering and coughing but no actual startup.

I have heard the car start up one time but I did not stay on the throttle and it died immediately. I have not been able to recreate that since.

Are we thinking stuck rack in the injection pump, delivery valve issues, tight valves, poor compression, or something else.

If I wanted to remove the IP and send off to be rebuilt, what are the gotchas in that operation? I have never timed an injection pump, and I don't want to pull it off and cause more issues.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.
1995 E320
1998 E300D-T
1999 E3204M Wagon
2001 E320
2005 E320 CDI