View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Miller View Post
I wanted to awaken this old thread and see how the rebuilt compensator was performing? It'd be great to have some feedback on the niemoeller rebuild.
It's interesting with all the hacks, mods, and DYI's on the interwebs, that no one has ever figured out how to disassemble, repair, and pressurize these. They're the black magic of the automotive world!
I agree about the black magic. I believe it was a french engineer who invented the idea, I originally wanted a W114 250 from around 1970 because of the fully articulated rear suspension. I drove one in my early teens and can testify to how well they handled severe steering inputs. After driving a W111 sedan 200 I almost wrecked it when the dreaded swing axle camber trip almost got me. But I found the W108 280 SE first and the hydro self leveling intrigued me enough to accept the swing axle as I don't drive as severely as I used to in my youth.
I would be tempted to get another one to put on the shelf just in case. My rebuild unit from Niemuller is still working after three years. But then it seems they fail more often from lack of use.
My only problem is the combination of new springs with the narrowest rubber caps and rebuilt compensator with fewest install shims still resulted in the car being a tiny bit too high in the rear. But to the eye it seems to have settled, but I haven't measured it.
Any yes it drives like a dream. It's such a contrast to modern cars that don't seem to handle potholes, speed bumps and uneven surfaces as well.
Brad