View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 04:43 AM

Setting Zenith Float Height

I am trying to make sure that what I am doing in the float chamber of my Zenith 35/40 INAT carbs is correct.

At this time the carbs will idle wonderfully, but stumble anytime fuel is given. I cleaned the carbs, replaced the acceleration pump and made sure the float was not sticking. I did not go thru a full rebuild at this time, I am just trying to get the car running before winter.

What I know about these carbs is strictly from what I get from you Gentlemen and what I can pick up from the internet.

When I disassembled the the carb, the front float valve was stuck, the (needle/ jet?) was protuding from the bottom of the float valve itself. I had to soak it in SeaFoam and tap it back and forth to free it up. I figured that protrusion was normal.

After the second start up without much improvement, I pulled one of the new float valves from the rebuild kit and I find there is no way to push that needle below the bottom of the float valve. So there is a problem.

One thing i need to understand is how that valve works. There is no spring that I can feel, is there a small piston in the valve? What raises the needle while in operation? It has to have contact with the float assembly to regulate the fuel in the chamber and it sits in a vertical position, correct?

I was looking at float valve height settings on an internet document on the 35/40 and it mentioned there were two types of valves with different float settings. One with a spring and check ball and one without. I am guessing the one I have pictured has no spring? This information came from an old 35/40 document from a BMW Database.

I will probably tear them back down on Sunday.

Thanks.. Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Setting Zenith Float Height-zenith-float-valve.jpg  

Last edited by glmoore0001; 11-17-2022 at 05:24 AM. Reason: adding information