View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 07:48 PM

Okay, taking notes as I work, for the benefit of others doing the same job:

The MAF assembly does come loose once the two clamp screws have been backed off sufficiently. I had already removed the data cable coming off one side of it.

I had to rock it back and forth for a while to get the MAF loose inside the boot, and then took a pry bar and very gently prised up at the rear, using the rear arch of the intake manifold for a leverage point. The MAF came loose smoothly and cleanly, and the boot looks pretty good for its age and mileage -- I could certainly re-use it if I were so inclined. Apparently it's rare to find them this well off, so plan to have a spare available.

No issues pulling the MAF clear after that. But you will want to have a shop-vac ready to get down in there immediately. This area around the TBA to MAF connector apparently collects dirt and sand, and you won't want any of that inside of an M119 engine. I vacuumed very thoroughly and cleaned dust off of all hoses and wires before continuing.

The TBA is held down with four 5mm allen bolts. The left rear as you face it is the only one with a small tool path issue -- a hose runs immediately above it. Instead of pulling the hose, I used a wobble joint. None of the bolts presented any trouble.

A small (vacuum?) line, translucent plastic, runs above the TBA from front to rear. I had to disconnect this before considering TBA extraction, and since I can't even see the front of it, I pulled the rear. My large hand barely fit behind the throttle linkage at the back to pull it loose; I hope I can get it back on! Make a note so that this won't get forgotten at reassembly time. It's unobtrusive once out of the way.

Still have to figure out how to get the throttle pivot off the side of the TBA. Hmmmmmm. Back to the garage!

s/b