View Single Post
Old 07-06-2003, 10:20 PM

300D TRANSMISSION problem

My tranny is having problems goin into reverse. I saw athread on this once, but can't find it again. Anyway, on level ground, it goes into reverse just fine. When faced wth even a slight incline however, it slips or wont engage, I am not sure which. In the thread I saw previously, it discussed a reverse band adjuster screw, and a locknut that can come loose. I found a locknut onthe passenger side at the rear of the transmission. It looks to be about 24mm, with a spacer about 3/4" long, then the adjustment screw, about 19mm hex. It wasn't loose though. Can some one describe the adjustment procedure for me, or should I take it in? My guess would be to loosen the locknut, turn the adjustment screw in until it began to tighten up,back it off 1/4 t0 1/2 a turn, then lock it down. I dont know if this can be done with the motor off and the trans. in park or neutral, or if the motor should be running, or exactly how to go about it. I dont want o just experiment willynilly, for fear of breaking something. Thanks for any help