View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DerBenz
Thanks for the info. on the alternator's output. Double checked the rating of the heater and I read right: 20-30 amps. On using the cooling system to heat the WVO: I've been pondering which way to go (obviously) and may still decide on the cooling system route. Right now, my challenge is finding a decent diagram/
instructions on how to do this properly on my 617.952 engine. I've checked out Greasel and some other sites but I still don't have a solid understanding of what mods. I'd need to make to use the cooling sys. If anyone has any leads, I'll gratefully accept the help.

Thanks again
What is becoming the more common method is to use a Vege-therm for 12v heating when needed and coolant temp when it reaches normal opperating temprature. Also Dana has plans on how to build a warmer on the end of your fuel pick up tube in the tank so u dont have to have your WVO heated in it's tank to fuel burn temps. You just need WVO in the tank hot enough so it is able to flow at a viscosity the fuel pump likes. The 12v/coolant combination will heat the WVO to needed fuel burn temps just before the fuel filter if u install them correctly. Actually Dana has plans for a home built Vege-Therm also.

here is Dana's How To Plans ($5.00 per)

Here is where you can get the vege-therm I'm guessing this is the one you were planning on getting by your description.

hint... don't use a fuel heater rated for a standard diesel fuel. They do not get hot enough.

The Glow Plug Wait: This waiting period is a moment of silence to pay honor to Rudolph Diesel. The longer you own your diesel the more honor you will give him". by SD Blue

My normal daily life; either SNAFUed- Situation Normal... All Fouled Up, or FUBARed- Fouled Up Beyond All Repair

62 UNIMOG Camper w/617 Turbo, 85 300SD daily driver- both powered by blended UCO fuels