View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 10:58 AM

Angry Need help! How to access stripped fan hex nut?

I am in the midst of replacing the serpentine belt tensioner on my 1992 300TE 4Matic wagon, (for the first time). Before I began the job, a mechanic told me the fan hex nut was stripped, which I have confirmed, so I removed the radiator and shroud, to gain access. But having now done so, I realize that due to the air conditioning unit, (looks like a thin radiator with metal tubes running through it?), and two auxillary fans, there still isn't sufficient space to fit a drill in their to remove the stripped bolt. Am I correct in assuming that these items have to be removed, (or pushed aside?), and if so, what is the procedure - can I do it or is that a professional job only? I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to A/C and I can' find anything regarding removal in the 124 repair CD other than job # 83-560 which pertains only to the removal of the auxillary fans. Am I stuck, or do I have any options? What are the dangers, if any, to merely unscrewing the nuts and removing the whole unit? Thanks in advance!

1962 MB 220SEb Sedan
1992 MB 399TE 4Matic Wagon
1995 Subaru Legacy AWD Wagon