View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 10:23 PM

It may save you big money....

A couple of days ago the NY Times (July 9,03) had a long and detailed report describing the experiences by several k's vehicle owners after three years of vehicle ownership. The article should be of significant interest to those considering the purchase of a new or a 'recent' used MB; the owners' experiences are disheartening.

But much worse, I think, is the attitude of the new company managers. The idea that poor quality is acceptable within MB's new concept of ''holistic experience" (or whatever nebulous definition this woman is trying to convey) is simply offensive when so much money and grief are at stake.

We all know that quality has direct repercussions on 'frequency of repair'.

I have a 300E with over 240K and soon I will have to consider getting a new used car and I assume that, like many people, part of choosing will consist of avoiding some models.

I do not mean to post a sermon; I simply believe that we should share this info in order to save our friends here money and pain.

This is part of the article in question, which was quite prominent in the Business Section.

"At Mercedes-Benz, the report said, the most troublesome vehicles were the M-Class sport utility and the E-Class, one of its highest-volume sedans, which starts just under $50,000 and can cost considerably more.

The E-Class showed the highest rate of deterioration over three years among all vehicles, with 215 percent more problems after three years than owners reported after three months. The most common reported problems were excessive brake dust, which can be a result of worn brake pads; malfunctioning side windows; and uneven tire wear.

Donna Boland, a spokeswoman for Mercedes, dismissed the comparison to Chrysler's performance. "If we're coming in below industry average, we're troubled," she said. "But this is one measurement, and our feeling is that quality is a more holistic thing that takes into account how owners feel at the end of the ownership experience. Do they stay with the brand or walk away?"

She said that Mercedes had one of the highest customer loyalty rates in the industry and added that many of the problem areas identified by owners had been fixed in later models."

Juan [who would like to own another MB, but without the holistic experience]