View Single Post
Old 10-26-2000, 10:10 PM
I have a question for the group. I have an 82 240D and have noticed witin the last couple of months that during idle, the engine appears to be loping as though an injector was clogged. It isn't bad but I do believe that this engine was idling smoother when I purchased it a few months ago. I have adjusted valves, ran diesel purge, replaced both fuel filters and even went as far as purchased a new set of injectors today and it still has the same symptoms. During high engine speed, the problem disappears. The car only has 106,000. The previous owner had the timing chain replaced a couple of years ago.

Another thing that I have noticed is that before I replaced the injectors today, it would appear to be idling alot smoother after being driven for a while.

Is it possible that a valve could be bad? One thing that I did notice that when I was cranking the engine after installing the new injectors is that the compression strokes appeared even on all cylinders during the starting process. I know this isn't the correct way to do a compression test, but I had a Honda years back that had a bad valve and every time you started that engine, you could tell that one cylinder was weak during the starting process (loping before the start). It just seems that this car has very little mileage to be having valve problems.

Haven't taken it in for injection timing or compression test but that may be my next step. Any suggestions?