Alcohol will get you the "clean" that you need - I can vouch for that. Virtually no residue.
Damage your brain??... Yes, it's better to get drunk than poisoned. Keep in mind the denatured stuff can vary in chemistry. The stuff I use in the lab is 94% ethanol, 5% isopropanol, 1% water. Sometimes alcohol is denatured with up to 5% methanol.
Don't forget the flammability hazard. You'll be vaporizing a lot of volatile liquid. Don't shatter the light bulb in your droplight while doing this!... and no smoking!!
I suppose these two issues provide a good argument for using the a/c flush LarryBible uses.
95 E320 Cabriolet, 131K