View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003, 11:12 AM

Well Steve I figured I would let you look for the thread... don't know if anyone else added comments to it since I posted to it. Someone may have had a different experience with them than I did.

If you use Frank's Mercedes (good experience but pricey) also or someone else, I would be interested to see your comments.

Recently I also used Myers Western Imports Service on Boulder Highway and found them to be fairly incompetent. After a week (I was told there was a three day back log) I called and was told that my car was lost in the queue somehow and they would get to my car first thing in the morning and would receive a call before 10 am. Two days later I gave them a call again (after never having received a call) and was apologized to and told again that they would get to it first thing in the morning and that I would receive a call. Of course I didn't receive a call again and this continued for a total of four times.

All I was getting was a compression check, a tune up, and asked them to take a good look at the rest of the car and write up an estimate of anything else that would need to be done.

When I did get my car looked at I was told that the mechanic (their Mercedes guy) said that the radiator and/or thermostat must need to be replaced and that they couldn't do any thing to the car until then (was told it was pinging due to overheating and that the temp gauge in the car wasn't showing the right temp).

I replaced the thermostat (the one in the car looked brand new) and had the radiator reconditioned (the guys at the radiator shop said they didn't find anything wrong with it aside from the corrosion I knew about, Myers said it must be clogged).

Now here's the kicker... When I started looking at the car (I recently picked the '77 450slc up for a couple hundred bucks) I found the emission control vacuum system completely screwed up. Pieces were visibly broken, disconnected or missing. Any competent mechanic should have seen this as problem for the car running rough. Also the idle adjustment screw could be completely tightened down... an obvious sign of a vacuum leak.

So I will leave the judgment up to you. In their defense my buddy had a good experience with his Mazda there, which was why I figured I would try them.

Maybe they were trying to take me for a bath or maybe I got the gomer since it was supposed to be a tuneup. All in all ~$400 later and it ran worse thatn when I brought it in... I am going to give them a call today.

-Scott