View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 11:33 PM

I tried the xenon bulbs and all they seemed to do was make the light bluer and may have melted the plastic that conducts the light from the bulbs to the instruments. The high price for the bulbs is mostly because of the other "junk" he wants to sell with them. That said, he is a decent guy and if you call him directly he will sell you the bulbs alone for much less. Be careful though because after I installed the xenon bulbs it seemed my dash lights got slowly dimmer. After trying the white paint on the prisim trick and jumping the dimmer to no avail I bought a whole new instrument housing on EBay for about $30. When I removed the old one I could see the bulb enclosures had gotten mousy brown from the heat and the clear plastic light "conductors" had melted and bubbled on the ends. My replacement instrument enclosure fixed it and now my lights are much brighter (but still not as bright as on the W124). To be fair, I'm not 100% sure the Xenon bulbs did all the damage but they are the only non standard bulbs I've had in the dash since I bought the car 10 years ago. I'm back to the stock bulbs.
1985 300 TDT(130K miles of trouble free motoring)now sold