View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Re: Thanks guys!

Originally posted by J.HIDALGO
Believe me, the head weights more than 30 lbs! You need at least two people to manipulate the head without breaking anything. Also, I did not remove the rockers. The head was taken to the machine shop complete. They returned the head in the same assembly condition (complete).
The intake left in place saves time and the chance of loosing/breaking something. Obviously it worked for me.
I'm with Larry on this one. I left the intake manifold in the engine bay. It saved disturbing wiring and fuel lines. Without sounding like I'm boasting, I lifted the head off and replaced it by hand (no hoist) with camshaft, rockers and exhaust manifolds attached. No, it isn't light, but it is possible unless you have a bad back. Mind you, while watching me replace ours, my wife was convinced I would end up with a bad back! I did it in two steps. First I lifted the head and placed it onto a length of timber I had sitting on the driver's side (here in Oz, passenger's side for most of you, ie. exhaust side) of the egine bay. Then, with gaskets located on their dowels I lifted the head across onto the block. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but without a hoist one must improvise.
107.023: 350SLC, 3-speed auto, icon gold, parchment MBtex (sold 2012 after 29 years ownership).
107.026: 500SLC, 4-speed auto, thistle green, green velour.
124.090: 300TE, 4-speed auto, arctic white, cream-beige MBtex.
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.