View Single Post
Old 07-27-2003, 01:00 AM

It just sucks that the whole subframe was replaced and it's hard to know if it was replaced correctly. I guess I'll have to have someone look over it...

I also did some much needed measurements tonight as Brian suggested.

Using two yardsticks, a leveler, a tape measure, a sharpie, and some paper I got these measurements:

Left Side distance between centercap on front wheel to centercap on rear wheel: 110 1/2 inches

Right side distance between centercar on front wheel to centercap on rear wheel: 110 1/2 inches

Distance from center of front left wheel to underside of fender lip: 14 inches

Distance from center of front right wheel to underside of fender lip: 14 inches

Distance from center of rear left wheel to underside of fender lip: 14+3/4 inches

Distance from center of rear right wheel to underside of fender lip: 14+3/4 inches

These measurements were as exact as I could get them. I used a level to make sure I was holding the yardsticks straight. I used two methods and got the exact same results. I marked the ground and measured between the wheels (for the wheelbase), and second I used the tape measure to go exactly from centercap from centercap. Both gave the EXACT same results.

So, it seems like the suspension is even on both sides and there is no wheel stagger.

When i center my steering wheel, turn my car off, then pull it to the left, it locks the wheel. When I let go of the locked wheel, the wheel then turns towards the right side, and is SLIGHTLY off centered and sits slightly tilted right. Is this a sign of anything?

Owned:
2001 E320 Sport
1992 500E
1989 300SEL