View Single Post
Old 07-27-2003, 09:28 AM
I'd love to do the same thing on my 2.3 8vlv, the head is smaller then the 2.6, but I have never done anything like this before. I got the manual and everthing the only thing I worry about is that there is some shop tricks that I am not aware of and I might screw everything up because of this.

I know that I saw a friend of mine who has owned his shop for the past eight years spray the head gasket with something, but I don't know what it was. I am guessing it was one of those gasket maker things, I don't see why he would do that but then again this was on a two year old neon that just blew up.

The main reason I want to do this is because when my timing chain as replaced, the edge of the tensioner blade, the new one, cracked and now the engine whines. It has not affected anything other then the economy gauge that goes up when the car is stopped and in gear, but I'm not sure if this is related, I would like to have a quiet running engine again though.

Since this is a big job anyway, maybe I should wait a bit save some money and get the head rebuilt at the same time. As far as I can tell the engine is now into it's 150000km mark, it does not burn oil, starts every time, and is well taken care of. Leaks a bit of oil from the rear seal. It also idles very smooth but has an ocassional hickup every now and then, not something serious as far as I can tell.

It's just the whinning.

Would you guys say that I should put in the hours to get just the tensioner blade replaced, or should I wait and get the head done at the same time. Although being a student, this might not happen for a year or two, tensioner blade I can afford, a head job is a bit different.

1985 190E 2.3L - a constant project.