View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Stetson
Ooooh, gremlins. Are you operating the throttle by hand from under the hood? That will throw a code.

No, I'm not, but I hadn't known to look out for that -- thanks!

The question of throttle position is one that I do keep coming back to. One is supposed to reset the throttle stop after installing (or re-installing) the throttle actuator. But my understanding was that all you need to do is leave the ignition on for a minute or so, in order to let the computer re-learn the zero point.

Quote:

The idle speed contact switch at the base of the throttle pedal is a possible culprit, but I ain't no tech. It is a cheap swap-out, however.

Cheap swap-out? Best kind! Also fairly easy to test with a meter, I would guess.

Neutral safety switch is also possible, from what I know.

Although I continue to focus like a laser on the throttle actuator and its interface. The car ran absolutely letter-perfect before it was removed, and nothing was done to the car in between the removal and re-installation of the TA. I doubt that a switch conked out in one week of quiet sitting.

Quote:

As I recall, the surging idle points to the EACM. Best thing you can do is get the Mercedes diagnostic unit on it. At least one indy here in SoCal has one. You need to watch the errors live to find the culprit. Patience and good luck!
Darn it, I'm up north in the Bay Area.

Wasn't the guy who finally diagnosed your error issue sort of a roaming hired gun, with a rigged ThinkPad for doing field diagnostics at indy shops?

s/b