View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 03:19 AM

What will I achieve with a 1997 skirt on my '93 SL500?

Hi all,

Tomorrow - for about US$1100 - I could upgrade the lower panels on my '93 to the '97 later-model look. This effectively changes it to 2 vents instead of the current 3. Brand new panels too, just been offered to me at about a third the retail cost.

The car is in the paint shop right now ready to paint the old lower body panels and bumpers in the upper body color of blue-black.

The shop will be doing it in the next two days, so I need to make a quick decision - paint the current skirt in the old style, or put on the $1100 upgrade for the same paint cost?

By doing it now it will obviously save me money if I want to change the look. But my question is, does the newer 2-vent look add to a '93 year car's value? Does anyone notice? Will the new look make it sell quicker, or put people off?

I believe the bumpers also changed in the 97 year, and so if I want to be true to the facelift I'll need to change those too, but that's big money I can't justify right now.

Any thoughts?

Ken Silver
--------------
~1993 SL500, glistening black/grey on black leather, now in the shop for facelift painting lower body.
~1991 Daimler, shiny grey on grey leather, best in country!
~1991 Miata MX5, sparkling BRG on tan leather, wife's - (and my polishing)
~1992 Honda US s/wagon, black/grey
ex 350SL, 230E, 280E (and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice)

Last edited by KenSilver; 08-11-2003 at 07:46 AM.